[ilds] satori?

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Tue May 29 16:48:53 PDT 2007

Bruce smuggles through another bit of forbidden faerie fruit (apologies
Hope Mirrlees):

>>>satori of the soul!.....AD

Would somebody please be helpful and tell me how the notion of /satori
/came into currency with Durrell and his contemporaries?

I first encountered through Durrell and Cortázar, who seem to start to
mention at about the same 1960s moment. Thus in 1963 in /Rayuela /(part 61):

> Final melancólico: Un satori es instantáneo y todo lo resuelve. Pero
> para llegar
> a él habría que desandar la historia de fuera y la de dentro. Trop
> tard pour moi.
> Crever en italien, voire en occidental, c'est tout ce qui me reste.
> Mon petit café
> crème le matin, si agréable...

And Durrell in an interview or two also mentions the concept.  So who
was popularizing the idea?  Whence the trend?

Charles

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu