[ilds] Should he?

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue May 29 16:17:02 PDT 2007

I have a suspicion that Bill might be right about this.  It is
suggested by Eagleton himself in the opening lines of his idiotic
'review':

My old Cambridge tutor, a deeply traditionalist scholar, used to have a
copy of Lawrence Durrell's novel Justine lying with casual
deliberateness on his desk. The book looked suspiciously unthumbed. It
was there as testimony to his (entirely spurious) avantgardeness, for
in the early 1960s Durrell was one of the last words in high-brow
literary experiment.

Eagleton is telling us how clever and how revolutionary he, Eagleton,
is.  Old farts put Justine on their desks pretending to have read them.
  But not Eagleton.  He REALLY has not read it.  Avant-avant-garde!
Where else has a brain dead Marxist to go than up his own clever arse?

:Michael