[ilds] Time and Justine

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 16:10:01 PDT 2007

Hard questions, Michael.  I'll tell you what I sense, not what I can prove.  Atemporality, not in the dictionary and not in this world we normally live in -- that state, for Durrell, lies just beyond the membrane of everyday experience.  He talks about distant Tibet and crossing the Himalayas to get there, but all that is just metaphor, a way to make it understandable.  Jesus likes to talk in parables -- the same method.  The place is actually quite close.  It's the Kingdom of Heaven kind of thing.  Dr. Anthony Durrell has his own description of it, not the words I would choose, but I can't improve on them.  Something like that.  I think LD thought he could occasionally reach it through poetry, much like Keats on his "wings of Poesy" strives to get there -- and does.  (Here, I thank Ray Morrison for his explanation of "Deus Loci" at the last conference in Victoria -- the experience of that poem is something what I have in mind.)  Why was it important to LD?  He couldn't help himself.  That was his nature, that was his calling.  I think Durrell was a very religious guy, in his own way.  He failed, though.  He wasn't able to sustain what he was after.  But if that's failure, then failure ain't so bad.  Why is it important to us?  That I can't explain.  It simply is.

Bruce