[ilds] Should he?

Ilyas Khan ilyas.khan at crosby.com
Tue May 29 15:24:09 PDT 2007

I offer some support for my fellow lancastrian. Not, I hasten add, for his
³review², but for his status and the likelihood that on this occasion he
slipped. Eagleton has been around for a very long time ­ and read and
appreciated for most of that time. I have no idea what befell him to write
the twaddle that was published as the review. Its clear that the man has a
view on Durrell, and we must assume (I at least assume) that his opinion is
based broadly on a reading or readings over a period of time that lack
nothing in depth and perspective. The problem with the review is that it
appears to have been written on the basis of a historic prejudice, but
without actually doing the hard yards that are necessary.

I¹ve enjoyed Eagleton¹s buccaneering style for the most part. This slip was
grievous given my predilection for LD, but I think we should accept this as
a human failing that was very unfortunate for the reasons that Charles
articulates so well.