[ilds] Time and Justine

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 12:57:52 PDT 2007

Way back on 5/25/07, aeons of discourse ago, Ed Hungerford wrote a query about time in Justine.  He found some difficulties or inconsistencies in Durrell's time scheme.  Despite the Quartet being about "space and time," I'm beginning to think Durrell was just being careless, not in the negligent sense, but literally he "cared not" about the Fourth Dimension.  Which is really my sense of time in the Quartet.  It's really quite timeless, strangely timeless, which is not the right word, maybe something closer to atemporality in the midst of a particular spot in time.  Anyone else feel this way?