[ilds] academic reviewers

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Tue May 29 11:49:43 PDT 2007

Just to make sure that everyone understands, professional reviewers
are not academic reviewers. We academics may take months to read and
analyze the book we are reviewing, and then carefully write a
substantial essay that indeed has something to add to the book's
major thesis. We rarely get paid for our labors -- beyond keeping the
book that we've reviewed.

If Eagleton writes as an academic, then he should follow our basic
procedures of honest reviewing. If he writes as a hack, then he
should not be held to academic standards -- should he?

Bill
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *