[ilds] RG Justine - Eagleton

Ilyas Khan ilyas.khan at crosby.com
Tue May 29 09:17:55 PDT 2007

David,

I have quite a different view. Having lived with, known, and, on many
occasions, supported ³scholars², I think they have a rather quaint (when
observed from afar) and disquieting (when seen up close) inclination towards
affectation. This list see¹s plenty of those examples. Using clunky sounding
words, and showing off one¹s awareness of the various texts is not a
substitute for flying the flag (in my view). Conrad and Maugham, and
actually also Woodehouse get widely read, widely acknowledged as great
writers, and then fall into place as ³stars² when the middle ground of avid
readers who do not get paid to be scholars are excited by the author in
question. I don't mean to sound as authoritative as this little spiel
sounds, but the scholars have only one of many roles to play. Right now
Durrell is overlooked, in my view, Œcos too many ordinary people have still
to read him. Publishers, literary journals, newspapers and even distributors
have important roles to play. I don't have an answer to your question of
Beatrice (and I look forward to her next posting),  but your question is a
very good one beyond the specifics of the ³role of the academy².

I would say, in closing, that I take great pleasure for this list, and all
its participants, and am really encouraged by the scholar¹s acceptance of
the non-scholarly view. Maybe a sign that we are ³getting there ?² any more
non scholars out there ?