[ilds] RG Justine - Eagleton

Durrell School of Corfu durrells at otenet.gr
Tue May 29 05:57:20 PDT 2007

No it does not and you are being mischievous. I am not aware that a)
Eagleton had not read MacNiven's biography - what proof do you have of that,
since there are numerous points in his review which indicate that he HAD
read it? (And please remember that anyone who is a professional reviewer,
i.e. who earns a significant part of his/her income from reviewing, as I
myself have done, does not in fact read the whole book - how could they, if
they reviewed 2-3 books per week and held down a 'day job'?)
b) Eagleton was a 'liar', which is what you have branded him.
I never suggested that the DSC 'stands by the integrity' of Eagleton. I am
perfectly aware of instances in which Eagleton has been devious, but can you
name anyone, including yourself, who is not devious/lacks integrity. Come
off it Michael, you are a nervous nelly pretending to be  a great big/grisly
brown bear, and it isnt convincing.
Eagleton's remarks about Durrell are pretty close to what this discussion
group has been saying for the past few weeks - rather more incisively and
viciously, perhaps, but nonetheless somewhat devastating to D's reputation -
and I can't say more because I have to direct a seminar on 'The Writer's
Reputation' in 3 days' time.
Rp