[ilds] RG Justine - Eagleton

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Mon May 28 21:19:13 PDT 2007

What is striking about Eagleton is his lack of integrity.  It is
dishonest to pretend to review a book one has not read.  The man's
knowledge of Durrell and his works is clearly nil, and yet he is happy
to lie his head off, and to do so publicly in the press, and to take
money for being a liar.  Nothing wrong with listening to the views of
those who are critical of Durrell, but to indulge a liar because one
thinks he is a 'big name' is a shocking admission.

:Michael

On Tuesday, May 29, 2007, at 05:06  am, Durrell School of Corfu wrote:

> We wanted a big name. You don't get an audience by billing the little
> people. And I did it in spite of his negative attitude to LD - and he
> came
> here in spite..... But as I said (or should that be Said?) it was a
> disappointment.
> RP

Title: Supreme trickster.,  By: Eagleton, Terry,

New Statesman, 13647431, 04/24/98, Vol. 127, Issue 4382
Database: Academic Search Premier

Find More Like ThisSUPREME TRICKSTER

LAWRENCE DURRELL: A BIOGRAPHY

Ian MacNiven Faber & Faber, £25

My old Cambridge tutor, a deeply traditionalist scholar, used to have a
copy of Lawrence Durrell's novel Justine lying with casual
deliberateness on his desk. The book looked suspiciously unthumbed. It
was there as testimony to his (entirely spurious) avantgardeness, for
in the early 1960s Durrell was one of the last words in high-brow
literary experiment.

These days Durrell is probably even less of a remembered name than his
zoologist brother Gerald, suggesting that aardvarks linger longer in
the public mind than the avant-garde. Whatever happened to this
audacious aesthete?

Justine is one of the volumes of Durrell's Alexandria Quartet, a
monument of fake exoticism and pseudo-profundity which some of us at
the time mistook for great literature. It was an adolescent taste,
rather in the way only 18 year olds regard Albert Camus as a great
philosopher. In those years in Cambridge some of us saw ourselves as
existentialists, which just meant that as frightened youngsters away
from home we weren't feeling too chirpy. Today it is known in some
quarters as post-structuralism. The brittle, hot-house preciousness of
the Quartet lent itself wonderfully to parody: "The city is languid
tonight, its mood half-churlish, halfremorseful. The sea glints a jaded
mauve, wrinkled and knotted like the veined neck of a Lebanese
brothel-keeper. Sipping his sherbert, Pelagius says that love is the
stale morsel we are left with when desire lapses into memory."

The Durrell who carved himself a literary colony out of Alexandria was
himself the son of a colonialist. Born in India in 1912, the child of
an affluent engineer, he spent the rest of his life drifting like a
literary playboy from one fancy European hotel to another. Part of the
fag-end of cosmopolitan modernism, he shacked up in Corfu, Athens,
Egypt, Rhodes, Buenos Aires, Cyprus and France, changing wives almost
as often as he changed countries. Some of this placeshifting was an
attempt to keep one step ahead of the second world war, which he did
his aestheticist best to ignore. While Hitler was on the rampage,
Durrell was in search of a spot more sunshine. He despised politics,
thought Marxists "synonymous with pigs and fools", and set his thoughts
instead on the eternal.

As a textbook bohemian, Durrell knocked around Paris with Henry Miller
and Anais Nin, and loafed about London with Dylan Thomas and a few
stray surrealists, while describing his own artistic tendency as
"Durrealist". Loftily contemptuous at first oft S Eliot, he changed his
opinion of him overnight when Eliot, then editor at Faber, published
one of his novels. He ended up as a bored, taxevading semi-recluse,
dying in London in 1990 just as he was about to launch yet another
marriage. Samuel Johnson's comment on such marital ventures - "the
triumph of hope over experience" - has rarely been more apt.

Ian MacNiven has chronicled the flittings of this literary flaneur
--"Larry" to him - in 700 pages of painstaking research. The book is a
model of tenacious scholarship, but as Uma Thurman remarks to John
Travolta in Pulp Fiction when he announces his need to take a pee:
"That's just a little more information than I needed."

The trouble with biographers is the dead-levelling way in which every
scrap of information about their subject becomes as important as every
other. The book resounds with the sound of a gnat being blasted by a
Howitzer.

Durrell once described himself as a "supreme trickster", and this is
surely one reason why his celebrity proved so shortlived. The
glittering surface of his prose conceals an emotional anaesthesia, for
which the portentously "profound" reflections of the Quartet are meant
to compensate. Like many poets, his verbal sensitivity is in inverse
proportion to real human sympathy, a sublimated selfishness evident in
his life as much as his work. What was real was what he could
exoticise, convert to mythological archetype or high-sounding
platitude. His Alexandria is a country of the mind, attractive
precisely because its cultural and ethnic mix makes it at once nowhere
and everywhere. If he plundered Egypt for its symbolic capital, he also
groused about its "stinking inhabitants". His combination of elitism
and aestheticism was finally outstripped by Nabokov, another rootless
emigre who happened to possess a finer literary talent.

Unlike Nabokov, Joyce and D H Lawrence, Durrell was on permanent
vacation rather than in artistic exile. Perhaps because he had been
born outside England, his work lacks that tension between home and
abroad, the pains of expatriation as well as its creative
possibilities, which marks his great modernist forebears. Whereas Joyce
and Lawrence spent their lives on the run from cultural traditions they
knew from the inside, Durrell never experienced them in the first
place. Like his life, the overbred, cosmopolitan range of the Quartet
conceals a cultural shallowness. MacNiven's naively uncritical
narrative seems blind to this thinness, perhaps because, like many a
biographer, he forgets to stand back from the trees to give us a
glimpse of the wood. "To understand Lawrence Durrell," he admonishes
us, "one must go to India, physically if possible..."; but this volume
is quite expensive enough.