[ilds] RG Justine 3.1 King Lear rather than Macbeth

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Mon May 28 17:31:57 PDT 2007

On 5/28/2007 8:20 PM, william godshalk wrote:

> Well, that's worth thinking about?  Why /Macbeth/? And why strike it
> out and add /Lear/? Was he considering Justine as Lady Macbeth? And
> was he thinking of the possibility that Macbeth would murder Duncan?
> (Who will play Duncan?) That Justine would urge the murder? That the
> apparently dynamic duo would break apart?
>
> Macbeth's paranoia is well-founded! They are out to get him -- and
> they do. Okay, perhaps Darley is Macbeth in the sense that  he
> believes Nessim is out to get him. And will.
>
> Does the differance help here?

To extend what you have said, Bill, I was reading back from Macbeth
^Lear and noting the portents, omens, "vertiginous uncertainty," and the
"Beware" written in the sand in Greek--all of which I can see as making
/Macbeth /a more obvious choice.  But then what to do with the swerve to
/Lear/?

Charles

--
Wake Forest University