[ilds] RG Justine 3.1 Pursewarden and King Lear

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Mon May 28 16:34:40 PDT 2007

On 5/28/2007 7:02 PM, william godshalk wrote:

> Darley leaves his copy of /King Lear /on the dune -- and Nessim's
> telescope is trained on the forgotten volume. Why does Durrell select
> this play for Darley to read. Was he thinking that Shakespeare's
> Edmund is in love with two different women -- one of them married? And
> the whole affair ends in death for all three.

Now I will sound very Blavatskian and altogether poncy.  What if an
answer could be deduced from a ghost?

Would it help in making sense of the /Lear /reference/ /if you knew that
Durrell had originally written /Macbeth /and then struck it out, Bill?
He did.

Would that stillborn possibility make Nessim's paranoia like Macbeth's?
And would that flashback on to Darley?

And what does the final choice of /Lear /mean then--gauged by a difference?

Or would all of this "signify nothing"?

Imagining the /Justine /that was never written--or, rather, the /Justine
/that was written and rewritten. . . .

/See the abating shadow of this my conscript dust. . . ./

Charles

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu