[ilds] Durrell among the Fixed Stars

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon May 28 13:34:40 PDT 2007

Charles, sitting on the sidelines and having no stake in academia, I am a little amused by the concern about Durrell's reputation.  I am reminded of a story.  A geneticist, an old woman, whose name escapes me, pursued her lonely research on mutations in ears of corn.  She worked in a remote lab on Long Island and was generally unrecognized, till near the end of her long career.  Then she won an award and was hailed by her colleagues for brilliant work.  A NYT reporter interviewed her and asked how she felt about those many years of being largely ignored.  She too was amused.  She shrugged and said, "It all washes out in the end."  That's how I feel about Durrell's reputation and low status among his fellow greats.  It'll all wash out in the end.  Besides, who's going to talk about Terry Eagleton ten years hence, if that long?

Bruce