[ilds] Said & Durrell

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon May 28 08:07:05 PDT 2007

I also don't see the linkage.  How can you?  In fact, I think Scruton is honoring Durrell by putting him in the same company as Joseph Conrad, whom the Brits revere (read F. R. Leavis and Ian Watt, both of Cambridge, on Conrad).  The point of the paragraph is to make out Edward Said the Palestinian as a turncoat to his upbringing, education, and the great city-state of New York.  No more.  After all, as previously discussed, it's Said who calls Lawrence Durrell and his readers "poncy."  (My thanks to RP for teaching me a new word.)

Bruce

PS I also miss the point about nightingales and vin rouge.  Another poncy allusion?

>On 5/27/2007 4:01 PM, Ilyas Khan wrote:

>> Sorry, but the linkage is contrived, at best, or I am missing some
>> nuance here.

On 5/07, Scruton wrote:

Only cultural decline can explain the eagerness with which Said’s argument
has been accepted in our universities. Yet Said was born of Christian parents in
 Jerusalem before the war; he was educated in English-language private schools
> in Egypt and America and at Harvard University; he was brought up to love
> western music, western literature and western art. He was a cosmopolitan in
> the mould of Conrad, Turgenev and Lawrence Durrell, and his attack on the
> culture that formed him was an act of repudiation towards a legacy that he
 nevertheless gladly inherited and manifestly enjoyed.

As you know, Ilyas, Scruton is making a special use of Durrell for an