[ilds] LD -- the reality thereof

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sun May 6 19:05:40 PDT 2007

> On 5/6/2007 9:54 PM, william godshalk wrote:
>
>Yes, the characters in the novels and the author himself have a
>reality contingent on us.
>
>At 09:39 PM 5/6/2007, you wrote:
>

>>The mind does reel.  The ancient Egyptians had this notions about
>>writing.  Writing is magic.  It keeps people and things alive,

George Eliot, Walter Pater, George Gissing, Thomas Hardy, et. al. would
have called this "subjective immortality."

LD gave us El Skob as the prime example of how it all works after we are
gone.  The old pirate gets beatified (!).  Ron, his green Amazonian
parrot--"crisp as a fart, eh Ron?"--recalls the dead Scobie's voice
impeccably for Clea, until the mimicry "gradually wore out, like an old
disc, and he seemed to do it less often and with less sureness of voice.
It was like Scobie himself dying very gradually into silence."

LD is the same.  He persists as long as we keep shuffling his pages and
finding something to think and to say about them.  Then he dies very
gradually into silence.

Here's to renascence.

CLS

>> but
>>you need a reader to complete the process.  If you want to destroy
>>someone, you erase his or her name.  That is death.  So, we're
>>priests in the service of eternity.  LD should be happy, wherever he is.
>>
>>Bruce

Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu