[ilds] Durrell's belt -- and Darley's and Justine's clothes [1.22]

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sun May 6 11:52:43 PDT 2007

Well, yes, they lie there on the beach in their wet bathing costumes
(1.22) -- BUT it's becoming cooler (in the "last pale rays of the
sun"). Will they take off their wet things? It would seem so in the
pages that follow. Justine drives our narrator back to the city and
drops him off at "the usual corner" near his flat. Would she allow
him to walk the streets of Alex in a wet bathing suit? Surely not. At
some point in this episode they change into dry street clothes. I
think it is when the narrator tells Justine that "this has nothing to
do with sex." Obviously this must be followed by a defiant belting of
his trousers.

Bill

At 02:25 PM 5/6/2007, you wrote:
>We know [1.22] that they were both wearing bathing suits at one point.

W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *
513-281-5927