[ilds] Justine's bathing things

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sun May 6 10:29:14 PDT 2007

There was been some interest -- offline -- in Justine's bathing
things or bathing costume (Justine 1.22). Of course, our speculations
can not be conclusive because of the lack of textual resources, but
given our knowledge of the many faceted Justine, what kind of bathing
costume would she wear? We recall that Nancy and Larry liked to swim
in the nude on Corfu, and perhaps Justine would rapidly doff her
things. But, no, she would opt for the mixture of mystery with
sensuality which the proper bathing costume would promote. That
leaves us with other possibilities. Two piece? How small? One piece?
How revealing?

Bill
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *