[ilds] RG Justine 1.26

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sun May 6 08:22:31 PDT 2007

On 5/5/2007 11:18 PM, Michael Haag wrote:

>As a thrilling point of information I direct your attention to 1.26
>with its list of bus stops.  Zizinia is one stop, Bacos is another;
>there should be a comma between the two.  A city may become a world
>when one loves one of its inhabitants, but it can be hell if you get
>off at the wrong stop.

That is a thrilling little point you make, Michael.  I have long admired
1.26, that small interlude of urban impressions set between longer
movements.  "A city becomes a world when one loves one of its
inhabitants" is among the finest sentences in the novel, and I have
thought of it much in various travels over the years.

Here I will share with the list a glimpse of "the /Justine /underneath
/Justine/."  (That seems apropos, given the recent turn in the
discussion.)  /Justine /1.26 was a late addition in red ink to the
typescript:

                        *X X X X X X X X
                        *

        * Rue Bab-el-Mandeb, Rue Abou-El-Dardar, Minet-el-Barrol
        (streets slippery
        with discarded fluff from the cotton marts) Nouzha (the
        rose-garden, some
         remembered kisses) or bus-stops with haunted names like Saba
        Pacha, Mazloum,
         Zizinia, Bacos, Schutz, Gianaclis.  A city becomes a world when
        one loves one of its
        inhabitants
        *

                        *X X X X X X X*

Michael will note, I think, that LD got his Alexandrian stops rather
indifferently.   Here in the typescript we can see that LD did in fact
include the comma separating "Zizinia, Bacos."  Why is the punctuation
omitted in all of these later printings?   He certainly had close
contact with those who could set him straight, and we can verify that he
took occasion to change "Minet-el-Barrol" (appearing in both typescript
and Faber 1st / 1st of /Justine/) to "Minet-el-Bassal"  (later Faber
printings).   And I am thinking of other moments in the text where LD
chooses to leave the type-setter's innovations--such as "flesh-lips,
eyes, water-ices, the coloured stall" (/Justine /1.4), which should be
"flesh--lips, eyes, water-ices, the coloured stall."  That was never set
straight.  (The ear of the poet takes precedence over the corrector's
eye, I think.  It is more important that the sounds of these names and
words "haunt" evocatively.)

Charles

--
Wake Forest University