[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 2, Issue 6_D J Enright and Robert Liddell

Anna Lillios lillios at mail.ucf.edu
Fri May 4 14:52:39 PDT 2007

Roger Bowen's "Many Histories Deep": The Personal Landscape Poets in Egypt, 1940-45 briefly mentions Liddell and Enright, as well as his subject poets Durrell, Bernard Spencer, Keith Douglas, and Terence Tiller.  Bowen evokes Cairo's "unreality" during WWII and its effect on these writers.

                                                                                                       --Anna

Dr. Anna Lillios
Associate Professor of English
Department of English
University of Central Florida
P.O. Box 161346
Orlando, Florida 32816-1346

Phone: (407) 823-5161
FAX: (407) 823-6582

>>> Michael Haag <michaelhaag at btinternet.com> 5/4/2007 12:43 PM >>>
Strangely, Liddell's Unreal City is ostensibly set in a place he calls
Caesarea.  The Cavafy figure is called Mr Eugenides.  Both of these are
coy avoidances, and Liddell fails to put any thrust into his city or
his poet, and the book, while of some interest, is pretty flat.

D J Enright was forever pissed off that his earnest novel about
lecturing at Farouk University (now Alexandria University) was so
irretrievably dull compared to that dreadful News of the World version
of Alexandria written by that charlatan Lawrence Durrell.  Some things
are just unforgivable.

:Michael