[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 2, Issue 6_D J Enright and Robert Liddell

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri May 4 10:43:25 PDT 2007

Strangely, Liddell's Unreal City is ostensibly set in a place he calls
Caesarea.  The Cavafy figure is called Mr Eugenides.  Both of these are
coy avoidances, and Liddell fails to put any thrust into his city or
his poet, and the book, while of some interest, is pretty flat.

D J Enright was forever pissed off that his earnest novel about
lecturing at Farouk University (now Alexandria University) was so
irretrievably dull compared to that dreadful News of the World version
of Alexandria written by that charlatan Lawrence Durrell.  Some things
are just unforgivable.

:Michael