[ilds] RG Justine 1.19 -- my sister, my bride (bridegroom)

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Wed May 2 16:32:23 PDT 2007

Plotinus was reticent about his origins because, as E M Forster put it,
'the descent of his soul into his body had been a great misfortune,
which he did not desire to discuss'.

The 'negro head' is odd.  That is purely Durrell's invention.  One
reason it is odd is that it gives the impression of Plotinus
originating far upriver, much farther upriver than Assiout (Lycopolis).
  Yet Durrell also describes Plotinus as conceiving of God in the spirit
of pure intellectual play [1.20], a quality which he associates later
in that same section with 'the scepticism of the Greek' and 'the mental
play of the Mediterranean mind'.

There are times when one thinks that Durrell just makes things up
without caring if they hang together.

:Michael