[ilds] RG Justine -- 1.22 Justine stamps her foot in the wet sand

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Tue May 1 13:31:18 PDT 2007

"She stamped her foot in the wet sand" (1.22).

The narrator says that it was "as if some long-disused mineshaft in
my own character had suddenly fallen in."

Later entering his own room, he says that he could "still see the
imprint of Justine's foot in the wet sand." In his mind's eye, I suppose.

My fourth wife would do things like that: stamp her foot and tell me
that I would feel the butt of her raft. Seriously I think. And I
would roar in laughter.

Had I been the narrator, I would have laughed at Justine, stamping
her foot into the wet sand. How silly. But the narrator seems impressed.

Why?

WLG
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *