[ilds] RG Justine 1.20 et seq

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue May 1 09:44:07 PDT 2007

Here are the relevant lines from the Ennead by Plotinus.  You will find
their echo throughout Justine, and sometimes quoted word for word.

'How lies the path? How come to vision of the inaccessible Beauty? ...
Let us flee to the beloved Fatherland.  This is the soundest counsel.
But what is the flight? How are we to gain the open sea?  The
Fatherland is There whence we have come, and There is the Father.  What
then is our course, what the manner of our flight? This is not a
journey for the feet; the feet bring us only from land to land; all
this order of things you must set aside and refuse to see; you must
close the eyes and call instead upon another vision which is to be
waked within you, a vision the birthright of all, which few can see.
... Withdraw into yourself and look. ... you are now become very
vision; now call up all your confidence, strike forward yet a step --
you need a guide no longer -- strain and see.'

:Michael