[ilds] RG Justine -- 1.22 lashings of sex

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue May 1 09:31:24 PDT 2007

By the time we reach 1.22 we are deep into the gnostics and Plotinus.
One needs to be aware of that.  For example, at the beginning of the
fourth paragraph in 1.22, Darley says 'And is this the way?', to which
Justine says 'I do not know', and again 'I do not know'.  This is a
variation on 'How lies the path?, the question Plotinus asks in the
Ennead.  Durrell follows this up later in Justine where, just after
Nessim's historical dreams, he has Nessim talking of escape but saying
'This is no journey for the feet, however', which continues that same
segment of the Ennead.

:Michael