[ilds] RG Justine 1.19 -- my sister, my bride (bridegroom)

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue May 1 08:47:55 PDT 2007

I wonder what people make of that last sentence in Justine 1.19: 'I
think of Melissa once more: hortus conclusus, soror mea sponsor'.  The
Latin is from the Song of Solomon, 4.12: 'A garden enclosed is my
sister, my bride'.  Except that in Latin that would be: 'Hortus
conclusus, soror mea sponsa'.  Sponsor is presumably Durrell's attempt
at the masculine, which I think ought to be sponsus.  In any case he
seems to have deliberately altered the feminine to the masculine, so
that the phrase reads: 'A garden enclosed is my sister, my bridegroom'.

:Michael