[ilds] RG Justine 1.10 variants

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 29 21:14:23 PDT 2007

It is certainly true that the Faber one-volume Alexandria Quartet of
1962 was more than a correction of errors.  It was a revision.  It was
Durrell's first chance to look back at the whole and to make
adjustments, clarifications, tie up loose ends, etc.  The motivation
was to make the conception as one and as seamless as possible, with
hindsight.  I am quite happy with it.  And I am quite happy with the
first edition, first impression of the Faber Justine.  And I am quite
happy with the fourth impression of the first edition of the Faber
Justine, where apart from correcting obvious mistakes and printer's
errors, Durrell begins the process he completes in the 1962 omnibus
edition of burying his early tracks.  Each one is of its moment.  And
in fact I admire Durrell more for discovering how he works, how he
feels his way and improvises and arrives at something brilliant or
so-so as the case may be.

What I am not happy with is the imputation of ambiguity where there is
none.

:Michael