[ilds] RG 1.6 -- the narrator meets Justine

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sun Apr 29 18:21:11 PDT 2007

On 4/29/2007 7:55 PM, Bruce Redwine wrote:

>All this is a variant on my email of long ago where I argued credit goes to the author, and I fully expect this will satisfy no one who likes multiplicity.

We know each other too well, I think, Bruce.  Yes, my friend, I hear
your point, and accept your methods as a reader of LD who feels he must
choose a single text, but as a bibliographer who must work with the
ethic of a historian, I can no more elide LD "intentions" in 1957 any
more than I can elevate his "intentions" in 1962.   He "intended" both
versions.  The typescripts prove he "intended" a certain reading of
/Justine /1.10 before publishing in 1957.  The revisions prove he
"intended" another version of 1.10 in 1962.   Both are important parts
of the historical record.

Another example: I greatly admire Wolpe's jacket and binding designs for
the individual Faber issues of the novels in the /Quartet/.  I even
think that you can present "readings" of the /Quartet /through the
bibliographical codes advertised in the look of the jackets, the
binding, and the typeface chosen.  But if I insist on strict
intentionalism, I would have to say that those resources are invalidated
by the move LD made to a single volume 1962 /Quartet /or the
paper-covered editions springing from that revision.  All of those
various printings contain special histories, meanings.  I will leave it
to the Vatican to decide where the "/imprimi potest/" can be stamped,
which books to suppress or to approve.  We do not need more police.

Certainly, if I were writing thorough literary criticism on LD--please
recall, I my interest is instead archaeological, textual--I would make
the choice to use the Fabers, post 1962.  But to be conscientious I
would also keep an eye on the author's movement's in his texts and admit
those variants for my reader's consideration where they revealed the
author having second thoughts or redrawing his work.  A historian of
texts can do no less.

None of this is "postmodernism," a word that I do not espouse or believe
in.  And what happened with /Ulysses /is a separate matter, something
that no longer needs to happen, given our recent gains in technology.  I
am not for imposing 1962 or 1957--or the notebooks or the typescripts,
for that matter--and conflating them into a "definitive text," while not
forbidden, simply distorts the text according to the local view of an
editor.   Instead, I look ahead to a time when all of those different
texts of /Justine /will be available to readers and scholars as starting
points.  For LD it will be many, many, many years from now,
post-copyright and in a different archival moment that may seem
impossible at present, but digital archiving will give us more access,
less institutional policing.  It is already starting today, and I have
already helped to initiate the change with my colleagues at /The
Rossetti Archive/ (http://www.rossettiarchive.org/index.html).  That
case--in which Dante Gabriel Rossetti, a maligned and forgotten and
politically inconvenient author makes a sudden renascence after many
years in exile--may in fact be a very good model for what can recuperate
LD following what may be many years of declining readership.   In DGR's
case, he has gone from one of the least available poets to now quite
arguably the most available--the /Archive /now offers about 17,000
digital scans of his printed works, manuscripts, and pictorial works,
all annotated and transcribed and searchable.  Tennyson, Browning,
Shakespeare &c. have no where near that availability for any variety of
reasons--Shakespeare simply doesn't remain extant in the way that a
nineteenth-century writer like DGR or a twentieth-century writer like
LD, both of whom came after romanticism changed the way we think about
authors and hold on to their mss and archival record--but most
especially because the institutions owning those authors' core documents
and the scholars overseeing those authors' criticism have not availed
themselves of a new resource which they suspect and avoid.  Control,
power, money--libraries, museums, and universities see the change
coming.  Yes, the art of reading and the practice of scholarship will
change in ways that all of us old-timers will not be able to understand
and may not be comfortable with.  But then reading changed with Gutenberg.

Remember, none of what I am saying here precludes reading for
"intention."  That is still an available strategy and, if rigorously and
continuously self-monitored, may bear fruit as it has in the past.

CLS

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu