[ilds] RG 1.6 -- the narrator meets Justine: intention

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sun Apr 29 18:07:48 PDT 2007

>Bruce writes:
>  "I prefer to work with the text closest to the author's intent --
> and that usually means the last one he or she personally revised."

First, can we know an author's intention? Michael tells us that
authors lie when they are interviewed. And even authors do not have
conscious access to their subconscious intentions.

If we establish intent from analysis of the writing, then we have to
deal with the problem of conflicting analyses.

Some writers distinguish between creative writing and secondary
editing. The author's second thoughts are merely editorial changes
after the fire of primary creation.

WLG

W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *