[ilds] RG 1.6 -- the narrator meets Justine

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sun Apr 29 17:30:33 PDT 2007

On 4/29/2007 8:01 PM, Beatrice Skordili wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I defer to Charles' authority on the editions here. He assured me at
> some point in time that the Dutton's are essentially a reprint of the
> original four volume Faber. As for "errors" in the original edition:
> In a book which makes a big deal about "mistakes" and "slips" and the
> truths they reveal, I would be very careful about what I designate as
> errors or not.

 Beatrice: the Dutton /Justine /is printed off of plates akin to--but
not identical with--the Faber first/first.  As I pointed out in that
paper at Cincinnati, LD sent Faber a list of "muck ups."  (The list is
at SIU-Carbondale.) One or two of those errors Faber had already caught
before printing Justine first/first. The rest make it into the Faber
texts a few impressions later.  Dutton never got around to making things
right, and Penguin has no economic incentive to make them tamper with
the text.

CLS

--
Wake Forest University