[ilds] RG 1.6 -- the narrator meets Justine

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 29 16:55:30 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----

                           * * * * *

Durrell wrote very fast and admitted he made mistakes.  So, I agree with Haag's methodology.  I prefer to work with the text closest to the author's intent -- and that usually means the last one he or she personally revised.  Admittedly, the problems can be complex, but it avoid situations, such as what happened when Hans Walter Gabler came up with his "corrected text" of Ulysses in 1986, where an editor takes too much upon himself and thinks he knows more than the author does.  All this is a variant on my email of long ago where I argued credit goes to the author, and I fully expect this will satisfy no one who likes multiplicity.