[ilds] RG 1.6 -- the narrator meets Justine

Beatrice Skordili bskordil at otenet.gr
Sun Apr 29 14:32:12 PDT 2007

Well, Charles, I always use the Dutton four volume first and only to check to see differences in the one volume Faber (1962). I have not checked any of the other variants. But, I don't have the Faber handy right now, so obviously I have missed all the additional Justine references. However, what you say about the open-ended effects of the first editions agrees well with an argument I have been making (based solely on the difference between the two versions I have been using), that Durrell engaged in a radical program of "sanitizing" his text in the later version, eliminating ambiguities, destroying the play of the footnotes in Justine (1957), and in all manner of ways (some of which I have engaged with quite extensively in my diss.). I have not checked the Greek version at all--or the Spanish one for that matter.
    Although I love my Dutton and determined that it would be my definitive text a long time ago, I have found that the revisions--while "sanitizing" the 1962 text--prolong the play of ambiguity on a different level when the Quartet versions are looked at collectively. Nevertheless, I leave to you the painstaking work of collating the different versions. It takes the kind of nerves and patience I do not possess. In the end, while D. was certainly in love with creating a certain quantum flux on the level of versions, he also did a hell of a lot with what he actually left unchanged between versions.
    I will have to look at the passages you quote in the Faber, when I have the opportunity. I still think, nevertheless, that the intention is to mention one woman's name while really talking about the other! Be that as it may, I do stand corrected in some sense. It's just that Bill's post jarred my own impression of the text.
    The thing is there is a million things mentioned everyday in the posts that I feel I have something to say about. For instance, the olives issue (how can the olives be forgotten when they are a constant reference in D. since Prospero's Cell?). Here, I'll throw something out: What does Justine do with the olive-pit from the Orvieto olive that she eats? Or the "dirty sink"--I'll answer: Justine, Melissa, and Clea all stand before a dirty sink (two of them with a foetus inside) at some point! The pace with which the posts appear is staggering. I really can't follow!
    Glad to hear from you, Charles!

Beatrice

P.S. Sorry for messing up the numbering!