[ilds] RG 1.6 -- the narrator meets Justine

Beatrice Skordili bskordil at otenet.gr
Sun Apr 29 10:54:46 PDT 2007

The narrator plays tricks on the reader. A couple of times in the beginning he mentions Justine, but he goes on to discuss Melissa. The woman "walking idly towards the town in her white sandals" "yawning" is not Justine, but Melissa who has just woken up from her afternoon nap, because she works at night. It picks up from 1.4 when the narrator describes her night "assignations" with men. Only at 1.10 starting "I have had many glimpses of her" does the narrator start describing Justine. The transition from 1.9 to 1.10 as well as the similarity with "I used to see her" and "I saw her daily" in 1.8 which refer to Melissa create a very intentional confusion between the two women.

Beatrice