[ilds] RG 1.6 -- the narrator meets Justine

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 29 11:05:44 PDT 2007

What Charles says is true.  Nevertheless, from my quick reading (and
not mapping out the sequences), there does indeed seem to be a
discrepancy which I would put down to one of two things.  Either Darley
does not recognise Justine because, as he says, she is sitting with her
head down [1.16].  Or Durrell, after shuffling his deck and laying down
his cards, did not notice or did not care.  Or maybe even did care and
liked it that way because it would fit in with the uncertainty of
memory and recording events.  For example, at the risk of over
interpreting, I did mention Cavafy's poem The Afternoon Sun.  There is
no real allusion to that poem except the phrase 'afternoon sun' [1.10]
and the fact that the text goes on to mention Cavafy ('the old Greek
poet') [1.15]; also to make a passing mention of 'the city' [1.15]
(whether meant to resonate or not, but nevertheless the title of
another Cavafy poem, and one of the two poems included at the back of
Justine, the other being The God Abandons Antony); and finally the
explicit reference to Cavafy's poem In the Evening [1.15] which is
earlier alluded to, if you care to interpret the text that way, where
the text reads 'This is the hour least easy to bear, when from my
balcony ...' [1.10].  Now the point about both In the Evening and The
Afternoon Sun, as I said earlier, is that they are poems of loss,
memory, and locating the past in a present place, which The Afternoon
Sun does with a note of hesitancy.

This room, how well I know it.
Now they're renting it, and the one next to it,
as offices.  ...

This room, how familiar it is.

The couch was here, near the door,
a Turkish carpet in front of it.
Close by, the shelf with two yellow vases.
On the right -- no, opposite -- a wardrobe with a mirror.

In both poems there is sunlight and light fading, the afternoon sun
falling across the bed where they made love so many times, though the
bed itself is long gone, and the light fading on the balcony as the old
love letter is read and memories are stirred of 'what a magnificent bed
we lay in'.

So if Durrell, or Darley, gets his memories and order of events a bit
mixed up, it is all in keeping.

:Michael