[ilds] RG 1.6 -- the narrator meets Justine

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sun Apr 29 09:59:53 PDT 2007

On 4/29/2007 12:36 PM, william godshalk wrote:

> But how do you account for the apparent discrepancy? The narrator
> makes it clear -- you might say "doubly clear" -- that he knows
> Justine by sight and then does not identify her when she appears at
> his lecture on Cavafy. I assume that he has not lost his glasses since
> he just delivered a lecture.

I will go back read the moments that you describe, map them out &c., but
all of this recalls to my mind the dynamic that has always remained most
memorable and signature for me in /Justine/.  The novel starts in
episodes 1.1 - 1.15 with the laying down of a whole rich series of
character-squeezes and images of privileged moments and little
epiphanies in dialogue--like faded photos or old phonograph recordings
or diary entires shuffled together--then with 1.16 something of a more
traditional narrative style begins to assert itself, moving forward
briefly, then passing back so that we have the narrator first meeting
Melissa (1.24) only after he first meets Justine (1.16)--disrupted
chronology, time spilled out of its frame like dazed quail.

But while describing the conditions within which the narrator's claims
occur, all of this still does not answer your query, Bill.

CLS

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu