[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 1, Issue 91_Expats and colonialism_Message 2 from James Gifford

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 02:43:21 PDT 2007

Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:49:23 -0700
> From: James Gifford

Sumantra?  What's your take on this?  Does Durrell's 'troubling' of
> 'received notions' of the colonial world show through in your reader?

James,

It is time for me to first confess that I am not an academic in the field of
English literature. Nor do I have the historical perspective about the Greek
world and the world of the Middle East which I have seen displayed in these
wonderfully stimulating recent exchanges on the ILDS site. My knowledge
about Orientalism is very oblique. I mentioned in my very first postings on
the new recent ILDS discussions including [RG] Justine, that I was strongly
attracted by Durrell's evocative prose  in Justine and the AQ, when I first
read the books in the early 1960s at the age of about 17-19. I still find
Justine quite rivetting, a bit like Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past"
(or more accurately in translation, "In Search of Lost Time") - where you
can open a page and get lost in the world which arises in the pages!

The consciousness about Orientalism or "post-colonial" or "colonial" aspects
of literature has come much later for me, and of course, with time one
notices social realities which make one more judgemental, at least in terms
of social perspectives. But this can happen without any extensive erosion in
one's responses to a literary creation (such as Justine) in purely literary
terms - had I been educated later as an academic in English literature, my
literary) terms as well!

Also, not being familiar with the details of international politics in
Egypt - or in Alexandria in particular - just before and during WWII, I
suppose I did not read much into the political stances or situations
suggested by the books of the AQ, except as a part of the stories which
develop in these novels.

So much for the time being!

Regards

Sumantra