[ilds] RG 1.6 -- the narrator meets Justine

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 28 18:51:26 PDT 2007

This entire run, from 1.10 to 1.16, is beautifully worked around two of
Cavafy's poems, indeed it is imbued with Cavafy associations.  First in
1.10 there is 'the afternoon sun', which is a Cavafy poem, and a few
lines down Darley goes to his balcony where he catches sight of
Justine, a reference picked up again at the end of 1.15 when Justine
quotes 'In the Evening' -- both 'The Afternoon Sun' and 'In the
Evening' being exquisite poems of loss, of love affairs long since
gone, of memory transmuted into place.

:Michael