[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 1, Issue 88

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 28 08:29:10 PDT 2007

Sumantra:

Yes, I forgot about Smyrna.  But that does not really change anything.
Smyrna was something like Alexandria, also a place where so-called
foreigners had been living for generations.  In fact Smyrna was a Greek
city taken over by the Turks; for that matter Asia Minor was Greek and
the whole thing had been taken over by the Turks.  The point is that
Melissa was not a foreigner in Alexandria in the tedious narrow
parochial modern 21st century sense of being born and having come from
what is currently recognised as being Greece; she belonged to that
great Greek world whose origins go back to Alexander the Great, even to
the Trojan War, and of which Alexandria was once part.  Certainly in
speaking of the modern cosmopolitan city, the one that began dying in
1936, it was 'home' to Greeks who had been invited to settle there by
Mohammed Ali, himself born and raised in what is now Greece.

Complex, as I said, and not to be reduced to the silly modern fashions
of colonial and post-colonial 'theory'.

:Michael