[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 1, Issue 86_Expats and colonialism

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 27 13:36:21 PDT 2007

Darley is hardly a womaniser.  He had no woman at all, and no history
of having had one, until Melissa pretty much offered herself to him;
and Justine picked him up.  As for Pombal, well, he does what a
Frenchman has to do.  Neither of them are exactly living depraved lives.

In fact these scenes in the opening sections of Justine are reminiscent
of scenes in many books, books set in Europe, and scenes in Durrell's
earlier novels Pied Piper of Lovers and Panic Spring where the
incidents occur in London.  They are not incidents that Durrell or his
principal characters in those books seem to approve of.  One could say
that Durrell transposed his material from London to Alexandria.  If so,
does that suddenly put his writing into the category of colonialist or
post-colonialist or orientalist?

I find tags like colonial and post-colonial literature unhelpful; they
stop people making important enquiries or thinking for themselves.  As
for Edward Said, his Orientalism is nonsense and has been properly
rubbished by people far better informed in the subject than himself,
for example the historian of the medieval Middle East and novelist
Robert Irwin in For Lust of Knowing: The Orientalists and Their Enemies
(London, 2006).  Irwin has some pretty strong words for Edward Said,
calling him something like dishonest and malign.

I might add that the characters in Justine are, almost all of them,
Alexandrians.  I draw the distinction between Alexandrians and
Egyptians, and between Alexandria and Egypt.  Alexandria was a peculiar
enterprise, a Europe transposed to Africa, rather like Durrell's
scenes.  The fascination with Alexandria to a considerable extent lies
in the fact that it is a kind of mirror (yes) to European civilisation;
it allows you to see something that is familiar yet to see it in a
special way.  That is why Cavafy, E M Forster and Lawrence Durrell were
always writing about a European experience when writing about
Alexandria -- the essence of the city, both ancient and
modern-cosmopolitan, was European not Egyptian.

Melissa is a Greek of Alexandria; there is nothing to say that she has
not lived there all her life.  Balthazar is an Egyptian Jew as is
Justine, and Nessim is a Copt, more Egyptian than those
Johnny-come-lately Arabs or Turks.  Pombal is transitory, being a
diplomat.  He will be transitory wherever he goes.  Darley may or may
not have been transitory in Alexandria.  As it turns out, he leaves,
comes back, then leaves again.  But he might have stayed.  Certainly
the hundreds of thousands of people who made up the population at that
time belonged to families who had been in Alexandria for generations,
whether they were Christian, Muslim or Jew, whether they were French,
Italian, Syrian, Turkish, Palestinian, Lebanese, Maltese, English,
Belgian, Greek or whatever.  In fact the newcomers were the Egyptians;
they moved in after the modern city was up and running.  The
Alexandrians, indeed, were rather like Edward Said; he would fit the
Alexandrian mould perfectly, except that his father ran a business in
Cairo, not Alexandria, and sent his son to school in Cairo and America,
not Alexandria and Paris.

Alexandria was not a British colonial city.  The British between 1882
and 1922 ran things from Cairo; after that the Egyptians ran almost
everything for themselves, and indeed everything after 1936 -- except
during the war, when the choice was between the British being in Egypt
or the Nazis.  There were some Egyptians who wanted the Nazis, but I do
not weep for the failure of their hopes.  In any case, Alexandria was a
very different city to Cairo.  Cairo was founded by the Arabs and was
the seat of the imperialist powers who ruled over Egypt, whether the
Arabs themselves or the Turks in their many varieties, then the French,
the Alids, the British, and now an Egyptian military dictatorship
dressed up as a democratic government.  But Alexandria, refounded in
about 1820 by Mohammed Ali (an Ottoman from northern Greece), was
settled by Europeans who were invited there and whose communities were
even given land on which to build.  They established their own elected
municipal government -- the first municipal government anywhere in the
Middle East -- and they largely ran their own affairs.  This was well
established by the time the British came along.

Having said all that, it is worth noting that in the very earliest
drafts for Justine Durrell's characters were not Alexandrians, they
were for the most part British, but they were not ex-pats nor were they
transients, instead they were marooned in Alexandria by the war.  They
wanted to get out, but they were trapped.  Rather like the gnostics
felt trapped in a world not of their choosing nor even of God's
choosing.

The matter is complex.

I should also add that the Alexandria Quartet is in fact two works.
One is Justine.  The other is Balthazar-Mountolive-Clea.  The two works
were written at very different times.  Moreover Justine was not written
with any notion that there would be further volumes.  Reading Justine
as though Balthazar-Mountolive-Clea already existed, or was conceived
of, is a mistake.

:Michael