[ilds] RG Justine - Jamais de la vie

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 08:40:26 PDT 2007

Michael,

That's an attentive reading!  I've been thinking about the Four Quartets &
Alexandria Quartet connections for a  while now.  If we were to turn to the
opening of Clea, we'd find Alexandria is also the burning rose that closes
Little Gidding, the "one" that Eliot spent so many years (spending &
squandering) to gain.  Given Durrell's anecdote about giving Eliot the title
for the Four Quartets, I've been wondering for quite some time just how much
LD intended the AQ to be a response to TSE's 4Qs...

More to follow as I unpack!

Best,
James