[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 1, Issue 81_(i) Film on Alexandria (ii) Ford, Joyce, Proust and LD

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 23:26:06 PDT 2007

1. This is an interesting film but without a commentary it is disjointed. (I
could catch only occasional snatches of spound on this track). The written
comments are in French - I could not locate an English introduction or
comment.

Sumantra
------------------------------

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/durrell/video/xl8xq_mafish-durell-nicolas-barrie

> > There is a film (if you can call it that) on
> > Alexandria, a sort of "?loge" (It is very long and
> > sometimes the image is bad).

> > Paris, France.
---------------------------------

2. Regarding Joyce and Proust, Lawrence Durrell has said somewhere in an
introduction to the structure of the AQ, ".....this is not a Joycean or
Proustian method...." which seemed to suggest considerable familiriaty with
these two major writers.

Regarding The Good Soldier, I read the book many years ago, after coming
across several references to the book in my readings on the AQ. I would say,
that a comparison on structure is probably striking, but the whole
"tapestry" of AQ including Justine as an individual book, is so immersed in
landscape and a variety of characters, and LD's prose style is so richly
evocative in many ways, that the two works become very different as
creations.

Sumantra

Sumantra
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:17:41 -0500
> From: "Pamela Francis" <albigensian at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ilds] Durrell and The Good Soldier

>> I read the Good Soldier just recently, and I was very impressed, and yes,
> made the connections b/t Ford's modus operandi and Durrell's.  As for why
LD
> didn't know the work: I have been reading for my comprehensive exams, and
my
> main subject area is British Modernism.  >
>
> >From: "Alejandro Adams" <hungerist at hotmail.com>
> >To: <ilds at lists.uvic.ca>
> >Subject: Re: [ilds] Durrell and The Good Soldier
> >Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:41:25 -0700

> >Durrell: I'm so glad I didn't read The Good Soldier before writing
Justine
> >or I might never have finished her!  This novel is an eye-opener with its
> >brilliant organization and gathering momentum; it's fit to put beside the
> >best of our time.  How the devil didn't I know his work?

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:07:09 -0400
> From: "David Holdsworth" <holdsworth at rogers.com>
> Subject: Re: [ilds] RG Justine 1.13 -- Jamais de la vie
> To: <ilds at lists.uvic.ca>
>

> I suppose Durrell's reading habits reflect his interests and the way he
saw himself within the literary establishment of the times.  Not surprising.
I see him as an outsider, like Miller (that friendship is very telling), way
outside the mainstream, without an Oxbridge degree, and doing battle with
the big shots who ran the show in the first half of the 20th century.  But
there is still the matter of doing one's homework, and it is surprising he
didn't have under his belt the major authors, and Ford was certainly one of
those, along with Joyce and Proust.  Durrell's life, however, was hectic,
and perhaps he didn't have the time to do all that reading.  Academics have
the time and inclination -- but they don't turn out Alexandria Quartets.
So, he went his own way, followed his own instincts, and I'm glad he did.
What he accomplished was so great that I'll even put up with his occasional
pontifications on the course of European literature.  A whole conference
could probably!