[ilds] Durrell and The Good Soldier

Alejandro Adams hungerist at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 15:07:10 PDT 2007

In more than one post, Ford Madox Ford has been mentioned in relation to
Durrell and the Quartet.  Stop me if you've heard this before:

During an interview with an English journalist, Durrell says something to
the effect that no one has tried to write anything quite like the Quartet.
(To wit, "The narrative momentum forward is counter-sprung by references
backwards in time, giving the impression of a book which is not traveling
from a to b but standing above time and turning slowly on its own axis to
comprehend the whole pattern.")  The journalist immediately stops the
interview, hands Durrell a copy of The Good Soldier and leaves him to read
it.  The journalist returns the following day and resumes the interview, at
which point Durrell humbly thanks the journalist for introducing him to
Ford's novel and confesses that Ford already "did it" (see parenthetical
citation above for an uncannily accurate description of the narrative
methodology of The Good Soldier).

I've always wondered whether the Quartet could have gestated with such a
self-important sense of daring had Durrell been exposed to the impeccable
machinery of The Good Soldier when Justine was just an embryo.  But what
would the Quartet be without that sense of daring?

Belatedly,
Alejandro Adams