[ilds] Questions, Digressions and Obfustications

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 24 18:14:28 PDT 2007

I qualify my remark.  I was thinking of his real wives, Nancy, Eve and
Claude.  The relationships could be difficult; they were also extremely
rewarding; there were problems on both sides, and I do not think it
works to simply call Durrell a bastard.   Ghislaine was a mistake; he
got nothing from her and she got nothing from him, and things
degenerated badly.  The elderly Durrell was not always a pretty sight.
As for Bowker, his biography is tendentious, more loaded than
researched.

:Michael