[ilds] Rg Justine 1.7 -- the rings

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 24 13:21:59 PDT 2007

Well, I can think of one instance when rings carried a heavy charge for
Durrell, and that may very well have some bearing here, but I will not
get into that.  More generally I think of the folklore of rings and how
they can restrain the freedom of the spirit -- in some societies it is
thought that rings should be removed from the dead to permit the soul
to escape the body.  Conversely rings are used as amulets to prevent
evil from entering the body.  In other words a ring is a kind of
gateway, a means of controlling great forces.  Durrell refers to the
'custom of this island' without telling us what island, but certainly
it is the custom on the island of Karpathos to remove rings from the
dead to allow their souls to escape.  I am also reminded of the custom
throughout the Balkans of immuring a living person in a major
construction like a bridge.  For example there is the story about that
beautiful seventeenth century bridge at Arta in western Greece; its
construction had long been thwarted by the vagaries of the river until
a bird revealed to the master builder that his wife would have to be
immured in the foundations supporting its central span.  This the
builder did, and the arches were joined -- and the bridge stands there
to this day.  Never mind that the builder committed suicide.  There is
on this island, where Darley is living strangely with this child, a
child who helps him bury the rings, a sense of trying to come to terms
with great matters of the past in order to start again.

:Michael