[ilds] RG Justine 1.9 -- spaces and the shifting floors

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Tue Apr 24 13:12:17 PDT 2007

Bill writes:

> I can make some sense of *days* being *spaces* between dreams, but
> *days* as "*spaces* between the shifting floors of time, of acting, of
> living out the topical. . . ." leaves me puzzled. And how does one
> live out the *topical*?

Those lines will be echoic for any readers of /Prospero's Cell/.  Cf.
"It is a sophism to imagine that there is any strict dividing line
between the waking world and the world of dreams" &c. &c. &c.

Again, one has the feeling looking back on such lines in /Justine /from
the next books in the /Quartet /that Durrell is revisiting his former
writings. . . .

CLS

--
Wake Forest University