[ilds] Rg Justine 1.11 -- foetus

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 24 12:23:23 PDT 2007

Regarding 'the picture'.  Instead of 'these memorials', an early
variant on Durrell's dedication of Justine was 'these documents' -- to
Eve these documents of our/her beloved city (he crossed out our and
substituted her).  Documents are things, proofs, and can include such
things as papers, yes, but also photographs and even rings.  In fact I
am rather surprised that nothing was made in the reading group of
burying the rings (1.7).  My impression is that Durrell on his island,
strangely with this child, is introducing us to various
documents/things that have profound meaning for him.  He may not care
whether or not you 'get it'; indeed he would probably prefer that you
do not get it.  But he believes that these things carry a charge and
that even without being understood they can carry a charge for the
reader.

:Michael