[ilds] Rg Justine 1.11 -- foetus

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Mon Apr 23 19:08:42 PDT 2007

        Nevertheless I can still see a direct connection between the
        picture of Justine bending over the dirty sink with the foetus
        in it, and poor Sophia of Valentinus who died for a love as
        perfect as it was wrong-headed.  (1.11)

Another "child" moment.  LD is giving Dickens a run for the title. Can
someone explicate the "picture" here?  The Sophia business is not nearly
so difficult, I think, as the when, where, and why of what Justine is
doing.  Another darksome glance at LD's biography?  Right now I have the
vaguely weird feeling that in Alex the sinks come with foeti. . . .

CLS

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu