[ilds] Eliot's Burbank, again

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 22 19:04:18 PDT 2007

He 'a minor Antony, and she a Cleo' (AQ 82), the reference being to
Nessim and Justine.  And Darley did step into Nessim's shoes, so to
speak.

After all Durrell did call Eve 'Gipsy', which rather does make him the
big Roman, as in Antony being 'the bellows and the fan / To cool a
gipsy's lust' (A&C, I, i, 9-10).  And there is Durrell's letter to
Miller: 'Gipsy Cohen burns black and fierce under her Tunisian
eyebrows; the flavour is straight Shakespeare's Cleopatra; an ass from
Algiers, lashes from Malta, nails and toes from Smyrna, hips from
Beirut, eyes from Athens, and nose from Andros, and a mouth that
shrieks or purrs like the witching women of Homs or Samarkand. And
breasts from Fiume. And what the hell?'

I wonder if one reason why Durrell wrote Balthazar was to overcome the
embarrassment of some of the things he wrote, and meant, in Justine.
By writing Balthazar (not preconceived when he wrote Justine) he can
pretend to irony all along.

:Michael