[ilds] RG Justine 1.4 -- active reading & Justine

andy nampilot at cox.net
Sat Apr 21 14:03:32 PDT 2007

> Fascinating...
>
>> his avowed intent,
>> if i remember correctly, was to use the quartet to flesh
>> out and expand on eliott's time present, time past.
>
> I cannot read the opening scenes of Clea with the burning rose of
> Alexandria
> without thinking of the ending of "Little Gidding" in which Eliot finally
> achieves his closing word: "One."  In order to reach that unity, Eliot
> finds
> that the fire and the rose are one, and I think Durrell's burning rose of
> Alexandria deliberately displaces Eliot's Four Quartets.

in my humble opinion, a truly brilliant hook up, that car, to that caboose,
colaterally, you made there in that jump of venues.

but inyour last sentence, you say you think
that the quartet displaces wastelander.
can you flesh that out a bit?

> So, not "to flesh our and expand" but to change and revise...  I don't
> think
> I can muster up an impersonation of Harold Bloom just now, but would it be
> fair to suggest Durrell didn't want us to be able to read Eliot the same
> way
> after the Quartet?

you are a writer.

i read your book

do you want me to be the same on the last page?

and surely, being the heady hedonist durrell was, he could easily have
desired to have eliot's wasted land be forever changed pejorativley, once
one it been enfused with a reading of the rose of alexandria.

but changed how?

  As with the active reader, that's not a change in the
> previous texts; it's a change in the reader.  That's where I think Bill &
> Michael are butting heads as well -- the reader does change the text, but
> in
> that engagement with the text's 'field,' the reader is opened to change as
> well.

could you please explain a bit how the reader changes the immanence of ink
made in certain configurations on mass paper products?

the letters sit there remote.

a match, maybe.

otherwise, how does the reader change....the text...if by that...you
mean...words...written...on paper?

> Perhaps Rita might comment on a kantian reading of that mutual engagement?
> Can I engage in a text in a way that allows me to add or revise it without
> opening up myself to that same process of revision?  What is the ethic of
> that engagement?  Alas, I'm not ethicist...
>
>> yet we are speaking on the subject of gaps, and i find no
>> comments about durrel's attemp to create a new concept of
>> time though the a quartet.  am i lost in space?
>
> Lost in a gap.

i write.

its easy to use metaphors.

but the real brilliance comes in structure.

the gaps

are the key.

any other work exhibit such a time disorienting effect on the reader, while
still being grounded in stalls of nubian fig sellers?

 How does time work in a lacuna or an aporia?  Beatrice or
> Anna can correct my Greek, but is it fair to trouble aporia vs. aporos?  A
> puzzle vs. and impasse?  I think Durrell's gaps fit the former, and before
> we can tackle the reflective atemporality of Justine, we must come to
> grips
> with what we're doing when the novel isn't doing anything.  It puts us in
> the "nothing" quite a bit.  "The rest is silence" strikes me as a literal
> statement about rests, and when we rest, we think...

when we rest, we experience an expansion in time.

and not all think, as i rush off to get gas, after the last chapter.

but putting us in the nothing....do you realized that is the fountainhead?

nada y nada y nada

prime theme

sarte

exit

the quaballah is the hebrew version of e=mc2

silence

time

emptiness

the void

out of which

all creative fire comes.

> As for the Quantum theory, I'll admit that I avoid it as anything beyond a
> metaphor, personally.

but you do acknowledge durrel's avowed intent to create the quartest as a
vehicle to challenge the concept of time, right?

  I think it's more overt in the Quintet, but in the
> Quartet, the issue of time stayed and time regained strikes me a formal
> with
> science words working allegorically rather than sincerely.  That said, I
> can
> appreciate why others would disagree.

you always do my dear demiruge, which is why i can't get the grass cut
saturday afternoon.
so by virtue of your last sentence, i am compelled to disagree.

an overt expression of quantum theory in quintets, is far less effective,
than a mass media publicaiton of a good sex story under whose covers hide,
in the gaps...the thrusting lust of time.

who is the third who walks alwys beside you?

a round wheel of people.

i do not know a man or a woman

thank you for the greatest gift.
well proved thinking, james.