[ilds] Andy's introduction

andy nampilot at cox.net
Sat Apr 21 13:34:18 PDT 2007

Re: [ilds] Andy's introduction

  I think you'll find the quantum theory & Kabbalah will stir up debate amongst the Durrell readers, but they are certainly things he's playful with.

  my objecive is not to foment debate.

    i seek a closer adhesion to reality.

    even that fractured through the prism.

    but i would argue the entire thrust of justine, at the deepest possible subterreanean level, ie, at the very bottom of the biggest gaps--lies meetings.

   another metaphor for the quaballah.

    which is ld's metaphor for time.

    and his effort, extremely intentional, to disorient the reader.

  in order to reorient time, considering how taken the man was with einstein, and then eliot's new expression of e=mc2, as a wasteland, he had to out do then, only ultimately outdoing himself, for the work failed, no?

  I do like the reference to breaking something to understand it - I'm not sure if I would agree, but I think you could reasonably tie it to the repeated reference Durrell makes (and Henry Miller too) to a child breaking a watch to understand it.

  this is forbidden ground, the graves upon which i love to tread, but if you thread back through the bodies in your mind's morgue, did you not have to break the women you loved?  your children?  your wife?  we all break each other, otherwise, why would we continue to hurt?  the law of life, of survival, a program institued by nature million of years ago to facilitate the hiearchy of man's nature, and natureman.

  You also have a very intriguing slip.  "We are all artists"

  would you not agree that hidden within the beating breast of every beast is a god to be resurrected?  not a slip.  a profound personal tenet.

  - this is why I would argue for an active reader in Durrell.

  could you please iterativley define what you contemplate an active reader, fully fleshed, to consist of?

    Yes, he sets a frame, yes it's his world we're invited into, but the expectation seems to be that we'll rewrite it and follow Darley's struggle to begin writing...  If not artists, the Quartet invites us to become creators, demiurges...

  that's the line that sunk me.
  godspeak.

  Best,
  James