[ilds] RG Justine 1.4 -- active reading & Justine

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sat Apr 21 12:18:43 PDT 2007

>the book is there and says
>something what is not only subjective and without being something stable
>but in time.It does something , like a spirit of place, I guess even to
>the author.

I think Stanley Fish would argue that the book (or narrative in the
book) is an artefact, and the reader is the archaeologist. The
artefact always needs to be interpreted by the archaeologist. The
creator of the artefact may have been changed in some way or ways by
the act of creation, but the book itself needs to be interpreted
before it can be said to do something.  You see I am in my library
surrounded by lazy books that refuse to do anything!! (That's
supposed to be a joke,)

Bill

W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *