[ilds] Andy's introduction

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 12:05:15 PDT 2007

Andy,

You call these rambling thoughts, but I think it¹s a nice stroll you¹ve
taken us on.

I think you¹ll find the quantum theory & Kabbalah will stir up debate
amongst the Durrell readers, but they are certainly things he¹s playful
with.  I do like the reference to breaking something to understand it ‹ I¹m
not sure if I would agree, but I think you could reasonably tie it to the
repeated reference Durrell makes (and Henry Miller too) to a child breaking
a watch to understand it.

You also have a very intriguing slip.  ³We are all artists² ‹ this is why I
would argue for an active reader in Durrell.  Yes, he sets a frame, yes it¹s
his world we¹re invited into, but the expectation seems to be that we¹ll
rewrite it and follow Darley¹s struggle to begin writing...  If not artists,
the Quartet invites us to become creators, demiurges...

Best,
James

James Gifford
Department of English